The Certificate for Occupational Safety ManagersTM (COSM) program is an advanced, executive-level safety program consisting of 40 hours of specialized training. For participants who are currently an executive-level safety manager, this program will assist in identifying competencies that need to be strengthened.
In order to receive the final COSM certificate, participants must have a minimum of two years of safety, health and environmental work experience; complete 40 hours of training; and turn in all completed assignments. A workbook is provided to each student along with a Web address, which is needed to access the electronic post-session assignments, support documents and useful tools.
The COSM Program Topics Include:
· Essentials of Safety Management – Explores the scope and function of the safety position according to established health and safety benchmarks. Students assess personal competencies within the categories of foundation, core, technical and executive abilities. It also addresses leadership versus management roles.
· Strategic Planning & Evaluating for Safety Success – Teaches the importance of benchmarking your company Safety Management System (SMS) against quality safety systems such as Total Quality Management (TQM), ANSI Z10 and OHSAS 18001.
· Managing Risk & Safety Finances – Explores accident causation theories, shows how to measure and manage the hazards that create risk, how to budget to eliminate them and provides templates to accomplish the task.
· Injury Management, Incentives & Discipline – Explains how the concept of injury management has greatly expanded into what is now described as an Integrated Disability Management System (IDMS). It stresses the use of lagging indicators to drive effective incentive and recognition programs.
· Communicating the Safety Message – Focuses on communicating within all levels of the organization and explores the critical steps to planning effective safety communications. Students develop and deliver a one-minute elevator pitch after learning key concepts for presenting to high-level executives.